Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Ask Baba Yaga: Sometimes I Think I'm No Good At All

Hunchback Fairy by Endling
Ah yes - this one is for every other writer out there...

This week's question and answer (via poet and oracle Taisia Kitaiskaia* of The Hairpin):
(Originally posted at The Hairpin HERE)

So many relating writers on this one but I'll just highlight a couple...
  • fear is a pushcart and i'm gonna ride it all night long Thank you for this. Seriously, I adore that song wholeheartedly and unironically. (stonefruit)
  • So, I know we're traditionally supposed to have a vague fear of Baba Yaga and her chicken-legged hut, but I would like to drink cocktails with her. (I'm Right On Top Of That, Rose)
"Chewing words until the flavor is gone." Yes. I really like the wasp analogy, being that they make paper nests and all... I must remind myself to jolly-roll down the hill so the wounds in my in heart flush with blood-fueling wind... and to live in deathly glory! O.o

PS to "I'm Right on Top Of That, Rose": Agreed!

What do you think of Baba Yaga's advice?

Want to ask Baba Yaga a question of your own?
You can!
There's now an email address where you can send your questions
directly to Baba Yaga herself.
AskBabaYaga AT gmail DOT com
To encourage Baba Yaga to continue imparting her no-bones-about-it wisdom (ok, there may be some gristle in there... bones too), I suggest we not to leave her box empty... 

Thank you Baba Yaga (& Taisia).


Taisia Kitaiskaia is a poet, writer, and Michener Center for Writers fellow. Born in Russia and raised in America, she's had her poems and translations published in Narrative Magazine, Poetry International, and others.

2 comments:

  1. As always Baba Yaga says it best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love/ fear dear Baba Yaga since my very first story about her. She presides over my studio from a place of honor above the bookcase. This post is so funny and sad and wise - so gloriously SHOW. I believe in Baba Yaga because she keeps on manifesting and cackling round our brains. i just read Toby Barlow's novel "Baba Yaga". He does her proud- it's funny, gritty, bawdy, dark and oozing with Russian soul, which I think of as an ineffable egregore comprised in part of loam, melancholy, gypsy violins, and lilacs. Thanks for posting this

    ReplyDelete